Grammar and usage
The Proof Angel Guide to...
- If you struggle with remembering the various parts of speech, this poem might help. If you need something a little more substantial, try First Aid in English by Angus Maciver, which covers various basic aspects of language. If you are not confident, you might want to get the book of answers to the exercises.
- The Grammarist has a list of easily confused words, and another of homophones.
- Sometimes it is useful to read about Common Errors in English Usage.
- Acronyms and abbreviations can be confusing. Make sure you have the right one by using either the free dictionary of acronyms, or the acronym finder.
- If you need to check English Idioms & Idiomatic Expressions is useful, but for more background try the Phrase Finder, which is useful for working out if a particular phrase was current in a specific setting.
- You might find The Proof Angel Guides to plain English useful.
- Please follow my blog, where I cover grammar issues in the news, and post bits and pieces about rules and mnemonics.